maandag 6 juli 2015

Introducing: Thijs van der Laan

Thijs van der Laan, 19, The Netherlands

What did you do before AMFI?
I did Havo and applied at AMFI straight after my final exams. So I had barely no sowing and fashion experience, but I knew that I wanted to do something creative. I always loved to draw when I was younger but I didn’t wanted to study art. I chose for fashion because I like the fact that people can actually wear your creation.

Why did you want to do the honors program?
To further develop my personal handwriting in design and to challenge myself to experiment as much as possible to create something which is really personal.

Who is your favorite designer?
Craig Green, I love the way he combines sculpture with clothing. Every look becomes a statement with a lot of layering and big shapes.

What inspires you at the moment?
At the moment my inspiration comes from a feeling of being lost in dreams. I get inspiration from surrealistic artists like Yves Tanguy and Jean Tinguely and also from the objects of Panamarenko.

What are your strenghts?
I’m a very technical designer so I work a lot from construction and shape. I’m also good at making a story around a collection and translate this into garments.
What do you want to achieve at the end of the honors program?

I would like to present a collection which is really personal and where I can be proud of.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten